Yoga / Environment / Renovation / Tibetan Culture
Camp Code: FSL WC-833, FSL WC-835, FSL WC-837, FSL WC-841, FSL WC-842, FSL WC-843.
This small paradise on earth is home to His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama and to a significant Tibetan settlement in India. Dharamshala is set in the backdrop of the snow-clad peaks of Dhauladhar Mountains. It is the capital of the Tibetan government-in-exile and the residence of the Dalai Lama.
The aim of the project is to provide sanitation and construct a safety wall for the schools and the community. You will help to provide a clean environment for the community, which is being affected by tourist influx and lack of waste management and watershed management systems. You will also create awareness on the Tibetan migrants and their culture.
Activities:Weeks 1 & 2:
- Promote eco-friendly practices
- Renovation of school buildings and walls, wall painting, educational drawings (murals), teaching basic English
- Cleanup activities at the waterfalls, creating awareness to the community and tourists to support responsible tourism, health and hygiene awareness and tree plantation to avoid landslides
- Participation in Yoga class with professional instructor (only in Wk 1)
- Visit various Tibetan institutes to understand the migrants’ issues and how the Government is taking care of the migrants
- Interact with monks and the local community to understand the culture
During the 3rd week of the camp, the volunteers can participate in a 4-day trekking activity around the mountains of Dharamshala and Triund. The cost for trekking will be Rs.3000/- per pax
McLeod Ganj in Kangra district which is upper part of Dharamshala. Dharamshala is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh, North India, 500 kms from Delhi
- Nearest airport – Delhi international airport
- Nearest railway station – Pathankot
- Bus from New Delhi and other smaller cities of North
- The meeting point will be mentioned in the info sheet
Accommodation: At a rented guest house or hostel, with shared rooms