Environnent / Education / Kids
Camp Code: FSL WC-834
Coorg or Kodagu (originally called Kodaimalenadu) means “dense forest on steep hill”. It is a rural district located near the city of Mysore (Karnataka State) amongst scenery of misty hills, lush forest, acres and acres of tea, coffee and spice plantations, orange groves, undulating streets and breathtaking views.
Due to the heavy rainfall in Coorg earlier this year, the devastation to the landscape, homes and lifestyle of the local people was tremendous. This time, FSL-India’s work camp focuses on rehabilitation of the land of the Kodavas. The activities planned along with local environmental organisations will help to avoid landslides and ensure reforestation as well as environmental protection.
In addition, our volunteers will work with different local NGOs to spread health and hygiene awareness among the tribal villages. This work camp also involves assisting various underprivileged schools by teaching Basic English and Mathematics, Health and Hygiene, physical renovation work like building playgrounds and visiting the nearby Tibetan settlement, farms and estates.
- Tree planting
- Environmental awareness creation
- Interact with local farmers to understand environmental issues
- Work in the fields – pruning, harvesting and drying on various farms
- Visit other model farms around the campsite to study and understand the methods and techniques of farming
- Visit coffee estates, learn about other popular plantations of the region such as pepper, cardamom and wild fruits
- Participate in wall paintings and educational pictures, construction, teach basic English and spread health and hygiene awareness among the children of the tribal community
- Explore more on Tibetan culture and the different issues related to the exile of its people and re-settlement in the region
- Cultural activities and exchange with the Tibetan youth with support of the Tibetan Welfare
- Have the opportunity to interact with estate workers and tribals, to learn about the hilly lifestyle and livelihood
- The project village is located in the district of Coorg, 120 km west of Mysore
- Nearest airport-Bangalore international airport
- Nearest railway station-Mysore
- Bus facilities from Bangalore, Mysore
- The exact meeting point will be mentioned in the info sheet
- At a rented guest house or hostel with shared rooms